Pages

29 Mar 2012

Blackcock & muppets.

I woke way to early this morning and rather than trying to get back to sleep I headed off to N Wales a short distance from the office to get to a Black Grouse lek site before dawn so as not to disturb the birds. Arriving in darkness I sat with the window open listening to Black Grouse and Curlew calling all around me. Fantastic. A few more cars pulled up behind me. No problem - everyone sat quietly savouring the atmosphere and as the dawn broke the grouse started becoming visible. A late comer in a faded red Corsa pulled up and blocked the road. The inevitable happened and a car coming the other way on the single track road couldn't get through. The muppet in the red car couldn't reverse for toffee and ended up hitting another birders car and nearly putting his car in the ditch. Suddenly the silence was broken by cries of 'woah, woah, woah' and the slamming of car doors as the muppets passenger got out to try and direct him. Cue all the Black Grouse flying off into the distnace before the light had got good enough for any really good photo's.

If anyone knows who it is please arrange a collection for him to have lessons in fieldcraft and driving and possibly report him for wilfully disturbing a schedule 1 breeding species. Oh yes, amd let me have has registration number as I've found out he's dent the door of the other car!




Driving further along the moor I came across two more leks but both were much further away. With the morning well and truly spoilt I headed for the office for a warming coffee and a days work.

No comments :