Pages

10 Oct 2013

The last day on Shetland

The trip this year has been as fantastic as usual. This year I actually got 1.5 'lifers' with Thick-billed Warbler not even being on the rarities radar. The 0.5 is the potential split of Eastern & Western Subalpine Warbler into two separate species. Its not all about getting ticks though. The enjoyment is being out in the field and seeing birds you'd normally only get fleeting views of at close range - I reckon the Voe Arctic Warbler must be my best ever views of this species. Even Yellow-browed Warblers can be mega elusive once they filter down to the mainland - like the one at Leasowe I got fleeting glimpses of the day before we left for Shetland. One day I will find a Lanceolated Warbler.....

There were more commoner migrants this year than last year with good numbers of Wheatears, Blackcaps, Redstarts, Goldcrests and Chiffchaffs.

I'll be back again next year.


One of the highlights this year was the influx of greater-spotted Woodpeckers. We found at least 4 with this one at Kergord, 1 at Voe and two at Quendale.


No comments :