Pages

28 Mar 2016

Migrants beginning to arrive

A good long walk around the patch Saturday resulted in my 1st singing Chiffchaff of the year along the railway embankment. I was hoping for a Wheatear but no joy. My only other Spring migrant was a Lesser Black-backed Gull. Wintering birds are still evident and I came across a nice flock of 40 Fieldfares obviously on their way back north along with several smaller flocks of Redwings.

Stanley Woods has been very quiet and there's no sign of any Lesser Spotted Woodpecker activity. Although, on saying that, even the Great Spots have been quiet. I did find 3 pairs of Nuthatches collecting mud to brick up their nest chambers and watched a pair of Treecreepers displaying. A good local record was a female Peregrine! 

Siskins numbers are tailing off but I'm still catching a few and am now up to 120+ in the garden. There's been a few Lesser Redpolls with them & I caught and ringed this young male.
There's also a larger paler looking bird that is possibly a Common (Mealy) Redpoll. 
All in all a good selection of birds considering the wet and windy bank holiday weather! 

No comments :