Pages

11 Apr 2016

A mixed bag.

A great trip to Hilbre in decent weather resulted in a few birds being ringed including a controlled Chiffchaff with a UK ring on it. It'l be interesting to see where that has come from. A few Willow Warblers had also made it to the island and we also ringed Wren, Robin, Goldcrest and Goldfinch to round off a very satisfying morning.

Else where I spent a lot of time stomping around my local patch looking for migrants with only a handful of Chiffchaffs, Willow Warbler, Blackcap and Wheatear to show for 17 km of hard work - I recorded a total of 44 species on my inland patch. There has been no sign this year of the lone male Lesser-spotted Woodpecker at Stanney Woods. Still, the weather was beautiful and it was great to get out in the fresh air after spending a lot of time recently in airports and hotels in Austria.

 Local Buzzard.
 Early Comma
 Green lane
Cattle pastures.

Star bird though was the Osprey that flew over the garden being pursued by our local Buzzards whist I was working in the garden Saturday afternoon. B y the time I dashed in and grabbed the camera it had gone. Siskin numbers have diminished and I managed to catch only one new bird in a brief session Saturday

No comments :